New Home!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds but if not, visit the link below and, update your bookmarks.

http://chrischun.com/blog.html

April 12, 2011

Happy Songkran!

We're getting ready here for Songkran - the traditional Thai New Year Festival from the 13th - 15th April. It is a celebration that embraces goodwill, love, compassion and thankfulness, using water as the means of expression. Chiang Mai is THE PLACE to be!! It's basically going to be a huge water fight for the next 3 days to 'cleanse and wash away the bad luck' for the new year. Everyone gets absolutely drenched! 


It's also a time to visit a Wat and give offerings to Buddha. For good karma and prosperity for the New Year, you also pour fragrant water over the Buddhas to cleanse them and collect the water afterwards. It is this water that supposedly you are to throw on other people to bless them. 


Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to take any pictures as my camera isn't waterproof but here's some pics of previous Songkrans to give you an idea of what to expect. I must remember to keep my mouth closed as more often than not they use the water from the moat which is not the cleanest LOL!


Image from http://www.treetopasia.com

Image from http://thailandmusings.thaivisa.com

Image from www.divaguesthouse.com

Image from http://www.hellomagazine.com


3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, That looks like so much fun! I've really been enjoying following your new life in Chiang Mai here on your blog... I'm sorry that I haven't been commenting though! I thought it was about time that I stopped long enough to say hello.
    It's been lovely seeing the progress of Clea's Garden too.
    Lisa
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Nice to hear from you! Hope things are going well. Songkran was amazing - we felt 'thoroughly cleansed'! I love your new blog too. Would you mind if I did a post on you? Cx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you. Any negative, unsolicited business promotions and irrelevant messages to this blog will be deleted immediately.

If you need to get in touch with me, please contact me by clicking on 'Contact Chris' on top right corner of blog. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails